Start a new topic

Getting started help on TS-8390-4700

I recently acquired a small amount of TS-4700 boards attached to the TS-8390 with touch display panel. I'm interested in small PCs such as this and have some personal projects I want to work on to share with others one day and these boards are pretty amazing. I was hoping someone could get me pointed in the right direction. I've read through the Wiki and the support articles here. I'm an everyday Linux user so I'm comfortable in the OS, especially Debian, but I'm not a programmer so I don't have a full understanding of the boot processes. I've got the device booted up in the Debian image from the FTP site, but once I boot, I can't seem to do anything in the OS except touch around in the screen. The USB ports do not work with any keyboards or mice I have tried, and I can't seem to get the device on the network if I manually changed configuration files on the SD card. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Good morning Jason,

Thanks for your interest in the TS-TPC-8390-4700. 

In any case, these TPC devices are intended to become small HMI devices, and should never be directly used as desktop computers (a task which they are vaguely capable but very ill-suited to).  It is best to interface with them from a desktop computer through a serial terminal emulator such as PuTTY, Picocom, Minicom, or Teraterm, as documented in the product manual:  https://wiki.embeddedarm.com/wiki/TS-4700#Get_a_Console

Making a keyboard work will require some small knowledge of how to configure the X environment in Linux, as a USB keyboard will not be the primary/default input device on the TS-4700.  The event list for X is hard-coded for the touchscreen and doesn't really consider USB input devices.  You'll need to edit /etc/X11/xort.conf and fix the entries for /dev/input/event* (there might be a few, event1, event2, etc.) to point at your USB devices.

Thank you Michael. It will not be a "desktop" device when I am done. I have several projects I want to use them for and they would be touch input only. I'll try connecting via serial to access the command prompt. I saw the config entries in X when I was messing around, but it had ones for the keyboard/mouse, but maybe it is missing something I didn't see. Thanks again!

Login or Signup to post a comment