Start a new topic
Answered

TS-TPC-8390-4900 - installing Debian (minimal) to eMMC

From the manual, section 5.1 Debian Stretch:

To rewrite the eMMC the unit must be booted to SD or any other media that is not eMMC. Once booted, run the following commands.:   

mkfs.ext3 /dev/mmcblk2p1
mkdir /mnt/emmc
mount /dev/mmcblk2p1 /mnt/emmc
wget -qO- ftp://ftp.embeddedarm.com/ts-socket-macrocontrollers/ts-4900-linux/distributions/debian/debian-armhf-stretch-minimal-latest.tar.bz2 | tar xj -C /mnt/emmc/
umount /mnt/emmc
sync

Trying to execute the wget I get the error:

tar (grandchild): bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory

Is there something wrong with that line?   

Best Answer

Thanks for the question Dave!

We actually solved this privately a couple weeks ago but it didn't dawn on me there was a public forum post that somehow got detached from our conversation, so to make sure anyone else who might have this question, here's the short version:

The answer is that the minimal Debian doesn't have bzip2, or much in the way of any other utilities, installed on it.  To rectify this:

apt-get install bzip2

The minimal Debian pretty much can be assumed to not have anything you need in it beyond exactly the bare minimum software necessary to get Linux to show you a login and shell prompt.  This lets the downstream developer create the smallest possible image by adding only the software components their software requires.

1 Comment

Answer

Thanks for the question Dave!

We actually solved this privately a couple weeks ago but it didn't dawn on me there was a public forum post that somehow got detached from our conversation, so to make sure anyone else who might have this question, here's the short version:

The answer is that the minimal Debian doesn't have bzip2, or much in the way of any other utilities, installed on it.  To rectify this:

apt-get install bzip2

The minimal Debian pretty much can be assumed to not have anything you need in it beyond exactly the bare minimum software necessary to get Linux to show you a login and shell prompt.  This lets the downstream developer create the smallest possible image by adding only the software components their software requires.

Login or Signup to post a comment